MPS Strike Day 2-3

It hasn't been easy for us to show up on the picket line with Malcolm's school since the very first day. Malcolm has expressed several times how he is "glad there is a strike but is not happy for the reasons." 

This was a bit difficult for me to fully grasp at first, but I've come to recognize how my child is attempting to relate how he 'doesn't like' school and is grateful for the break (which isn't new, school is very challenging for him and this is his way of telling us.) He also wants his teachers and ESPs to have all their demands met, and it is still really hard for him to show up in such a massively disrupted environment alongside them. Even with the overal spirit of positivity and solidarity at the picket line, my child cannot fully process being in this environment. 

I’m trying to be kind and sensitive to my child’s needs and continue to do my best to show up alongside in the ways I know how. Ever grateful for my own many privileges, namely my ability to be with my son each and every day through this while SO many others cannot. I also have parts of me that wish my child could tolerate the parks & rec programming with his peers, they are providing community and movement for our children each day of the strike. Honestly it all makes me feel more than a bit left out.

MPS children who require special education services simply are not being seen/heard/recognized in this process. I can only speak for my family but want to make sure I find ways to be a better advocate through this for all who are unseen/unheard while •not• holding MFT/ESP accountable to this disruption. It’s a tough line to walk and I fuck up every day.

Yesterday I was able to get to the picket line around 9:30, hoping to stay and rally for a bit and help clean-up at 10am before they headed out for lunch and to meet with the larger MFT for a rally at the state capitol. Malcolm had the tolerance only long enough to eat an apple fritter (yum!) and then it was too cold for his fingers hold out. 

I soothe my own mind through this by writing and sharing with other families *who* to call & write has felt like “something.” It is difficult to relate how disruptive this situation is to my 9 year old's overall well-being without blaming our educators. That is NOT my intention and it is not my child's either. 

We are more than capable of placing all of the blame for this situation on Ed Graff, the MPS Board of Education, MN State Governor Walz and every MN law maker. Get your crap together, people. 

Please, if you are reading this from anywhere in the state of Minnesota, write/call your representative. We are drowning and it is not okay. 

Shared with love. References below.




Re: MN Budget Surplus

Find your representative: https://www.gis.lcc.mn.gov/iMaps/districts/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Letter to the MN Department of Education and Governors Office

MFT59/EFT Strike Day 1

Open Letter to Ed Graff